University Police assisted the Reno Police Department with a report of a University of Nevada, Reno student who was groped Tuesday at 11:10 a.m. in the 200 block of University Terrace, near the campus. Additional investigation has revealed the victim was attacked and grouped. Police are currently looking for the suspect, described as a black male, about 18 to 21 years old, about 5 feet, 6 inches tall to 5 feet, 9 inches tall, about 140 pounds to 160 pounds with a muscular build and short-cropped hair. He was clean shaven and wore knee-length blue shorts and a white or gray t-shirt. He was last seen running west on University Terrace. The woman was walking to UNR when she was attacked from behind. The man grabbed her buttocks and breasts, however she was able to run away and call police.
Police ask anyone with information to call Secret Witness at 322-4900 or UNRPD duty phone at 745-6195.
University Police Services also wants to take this time to remind you of the following safety tips:
- Make personal safety your number one priority. Awareness, Avoidance and Risk Reduction is the best way to not be a victim.
- Travel in groups of two or more and always travel in well-lit, heavily traveled areas.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
- Carry a whistle or noise maker. This can serve as a reminder to exercise caution, and can alert someone in the area that you need help.
- Be alert! Look around you; be aware of who is on the street and in the area. Make it difficult for anyone to take you by surprise.
- If listening to music, keep the volume low so you can hear what is going on around you.
- If you know you are going to be working late, plan ahead as to how you will get home safely.
- ALWAYS – ALWAYS lock your doors and windows